Town of Montgomery, Texas
Montgomery, Texas was founded in two distinct
phases. The two
phases in the development of the town can be described for
easier understanding as:
The Original Town Site Under the Hill.
The New Town Site on the Hill.
The Original Town
Site Under the Hill
In 1831, William C. Clark purchased 600 acres of land from John
Corner in the northwestern part of the John Corner
League. In 1835, W. W.
Shepperd purchased 200 acres of this land from William C. Clark.
These 200 acres of land were part of the 600 acres Clark had
purchased in 1831 and were located in the northwestern most corner
of the John Corner League. These 200 acres were situated primarily
along a low-lying creek. To the south, the 200 acres rose
up along the side of a hill.
These 200 acres were located in the center of a settlement in
Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony which had become known as the
Lake Creek Settlement. W. W. Shepperd established his trading
post/store at this location in 1835. W. W. Shepperd's store was
commonly known as “the store of W. W. Shepperd on Lake
By 1837, Shepperd had decided that the population of the Lake Creek
Settlement had grown sufficiently to justify the founding of a
town. In July of 1837, W. W. Shepperd in association with John
Wyatt Moody, the First Auditor of the Republic of Texas, founded
the town of Montgomery. The name of the new town of Montgomery
appeared in print for the first time in the July 8, 1837 edition of
the Telegraph and Texas Register newspaper published in
Houston, Texas. The
creek that ran through the 200 acres the new town was located upon
became known as Town Creek.
Five months after the town of Montgomery was founded, Sam Houston
signed the Act creating Montgomery County on December 14, 1837.
Montgomery County was named after the town of
February of 1838, the town of Montgomery had already begun to serve
as the first county seat of Montgomery County.
The New Town Site On
For some reason, possibly the hazard of flooding, the location of
the town of Montgomery under the hill and along the creek was not
desirable. On February 26, 1838, W. W. Shepperd purchased 212
additional acres of land on the hill due south and adjoining the
original town site.
Shepperd purchased these 212 acres on the John Corner League from
Three days later, on March 1, 1838, Shepperd donated an equal half
undivided interest in 200 of the 212 acres of land on the hill to
Montgomery County. The
Montgomery County Commissioners' Court unanimously accepted the
Montgomery County Commissioners’ Court then voted to move “the
place of the town” to this new location. By a stroke of the pen, the
county seat jumped from the lower elevation down by the creek to
the top of the hill.
The town of Montgomery grew and flourished at this new location as
the county seat of Montgomery County for many
here to see this document as a pdf.file.